- Filling in the Gaps: Supporting Youth Athletes Where They Most Need It – Part 2You Don’t Know if You Don’t Ask. As a fitness and/or nutrition coach the scope of your efforts encompass training and probably food intake. But when diet and training are maximized and the results are not as expected – what do you do next? We are concluding this series of posts on youth athletes with [...] The post Filling in the Gaps: Supporting Youth Athle […]
- Filling in the Gaps: Supporting Youth Athletes Where They Most Need It – Part 2
Fresh or Frozen Spinach or Kale (2+ cups)
1 package of sun dried tomatoes
1 cup of organic low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup of Chopped Onions
Sea Salt and Pepper
3/4 cup of organic extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp of parsley
1 tsp of thyme
1 tsp of basil
4 garlic cloves minced
Prepare the basting oil and set aside about 1/4 of it. Marinate the shrimp in the remaining basting oil so they are all coated (the longer the better i.e. overnight).
In a sauté pan, cook the shrimp until they turn pink. In a separate pan sauté onions, spinach and/or kale and sun dried tomatoes using the remaining basting oil . Combine the two pans, add the chicken broth and simmer for a couple of minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. You can serve over spaghetti squash (see Garlic Lover’s Spaghetti Squash), just eat it as is!
*Unfortunately imported shrimp is often farm raised and contaminated with antibiotics, chemicals and residues, thus the reason I recommend US and not farmed raised shrimp.
- 12 hard boiled eggs (click for the Perfect Hard Boiled Egg!)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Full Fat Plain Greek Yogurt (Omit if dairy free)
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro (plus garnish)
- 1/2 tsp of ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped green onion
Cut the hard boiled eggs in half (lengthwise) and scoop out the yolks. Using a blender or food processor, blend about 8 of the yolks (use the remaining yolks for another recipe) for 30 seconds until smooth. Add the flesh of the avocados and remaining ingredients and continue to blend for another minute on low speed. Scoop the mixture into the well of the hard boiled egg whites and garnish with additional cilantro and green onions. For fancy looking eggs, use a cake decorating bag instead of spoon. Enjoy!
*Image from Simply Recipes